LEONARD M. JARKA MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP – Click for 2018-Scholarship-Application
The Robert P. Connolly Council # 5918 of the Knights of Columbus in the community of Woodridge is proud to announce the Leonard P. Jarka Memorial Scholarship program. Mr. Jarka is a dedicated member of the Knights of Columbus who continues to demonstrate the highest degree of involvement in the community through volunteerism, particularly in the areas of youth and senior citizen activities. The Knights of Columbus is a Catholic men’s fraternal organization that provides assistance to handicapped and retarded citizens, as well as supporting church, community and youth activities.
There are 3 separate scholarships that will be awarded. Two awards ($500.00 each) are for incoming or current Catholic high school students. One award ($1,500.00) is for a high school senior who will be attending an accredited university, college or trade school, or an individual who is currently enrolled in such an educational institution.
These are financial need based scholarship awards. To be considered for one of the awards, the student must:
- Be in good standing at their current school.
- Complete the scholarship application form.
- Furnish a letter of recommendation from the student’s guidance counselor or another school official acting in that capacity.
- Attach a clear handwritten or typewritten essay on the topic of volunteerism as stated on the application.
- Attach a clear handwritten or typewritten essay on why you believe you should be considered for this scholarship.
- Also attach a letter of recommendation from a member of the Knights of Columbus, who is in good standing.
The application form for awards can be obtained from the Christ the Servant or St. Scholastica parish offices, downloaded from our website http://www.kofc5918.org (click on scholarship tab) or by contacting our Scholarship Chairman Jim Schmidt, listed below. All applications must be submitted by April 15, 2018. Entries can be submitted via email on our website, printed and mailed to our Post Office Box listed above, or given to any Council 5918 officer or our Scholarship Chairman. The scholarships will be awarded at the end of May.
For additional information please contact our Scholarship Chairman:
Jim Schmidt at (630) 728-4784.